Chamber Challenge wins National Award
On June 16th, The American Chamber of Commerce Executives announced their annual winners of their Awards for Communication Excellence. The Grandview Area Chamber is honored (and excited!) to have received the Award of Excellence for the Chamber Challenge project.
In 2014 Grandview Chamber of Commerce looked to embody their slogan of working together and having each member’s back. Lead by executive director, Michelle Wilson, they started the first ever Grandview Chamber Challenge. The goal of this unique program was to take a local business who was hitting hard times and as a chamber help them achieve success.
Members were to partner together to help provide a complete makeover of a selected business. All of this while documenting the process in video format, so that those who were unable to participate with their time or talent could be involved in the projects and engage with the chamber.
Over a 6-month period, chamber members united together to meet with the owner of The French Loaf to help learn about their current situation and then ways to improve all areas of the business. Services during the planning period consisted of review of current books, writing a new business plan, training and business coaching, creating a new financial plan, architectural drawings, signage, marketing and branding, social media campaign development and implementation, decorations, printing, and physical labor.
The weekend of May 16-18, 2014 over 60 volunteers spent just under 3 days renovating the physical location. The transformation was astounding; the members truly guided the French Loaf on to the road of success.
Goals of the Chamber Challenge:
• Increase member awareness and participation in the chamber
• Increase membership
• Be true to the organization’s mission: To promote and support an environment for development, growth and success of the area’s community.
• Over $70,000 in donated products and services from members
• 60+ volunteers and over 31 member companies were involved
• 80 members attended to the video launch of the documentary
• In total over 50% of the members participated, supported and engaged in the program
Learn more about the Chamber Challenge with this video produced by Vital Film Works.